Wednesday, August 02, 2006

We've finally reached the topic of blogging during Eng lesson.
Well it's about time.

Sooooo, we were talking bout how blogging has encouraged a "me.com" generation. Basically a self-indulgent generation of bloggers,publishing an online diary accessible to the entire web community and talking bout what they did and why and blahblahblah about their life.

A common definition of 'blog' is an online diary. A place where they supposedly post their "personal" thoughts and comments, a platform for their 'freedom of expression'.

It's a place where we can FINALLY be heard among the sea of voices in society.

There are probably 2 generic types of bloggers.

The "My life and me" bloggers

These are the ones who are probably the most guilty of the self-indulgence and pointless gabberings about their boring life. They typically bitch about their daily activities like why they just argued with their boyfriends or how well their anorexic diet plan is working.

Criminals: Mostly tweens and teens like you and me

Guilty as charged: Well I admit that I've done some bitching here and there. But I'm not completely obessesed with my life and do talk about general topics from time to time.

The "Political and World Issues" blogger

At least these people give blogging a bit more credit and are at least have more purpose than the "mylifeandme" blogs. They talk about ongoing issues of society and world political issues and show their insights on the topics.

Whodunit: Middle-aged adults, mostly.

Guilty as charged: I don't read the political ones much, but I do read the ones on society issues. I can relate to those more because it affects people from all walks of life. For politics, I still can't read past the first two lines and not let my mind wander. In a few more more more years maybe?

To the self-indulgent bloggers, blogging is probably just a passing trend on the net. People can leave comments on the entries after reading them. And many bloggers, after reading the comments, get a boost of their egos. These people are so narcissistic (Excessive love or admiration of oneself) that they are disillusioned into the fact that people are interested in their pointless ramblings. The comments just feed the egos of these "bloggers" and encourage them to continue posting.

While blogs have many purposes, some of which can be useful, many have abused the accessiblity and liberty of it. Some even posting nude pics and "homemade vids"

The whole idea of a blog itself is a neutral thing. It is how the bloggers put it to use that determines the whether it is just another superficial fad or an advancement of the net.
It would be sad if it was just another passing trend.

So much for this post. Haha, I'm blogging about the harmfulness of blogs.
In Ms Chang's words " How Ironic ! "
Yay. Ok Ms Yeoh you can grade me on this as an essay and we'll skip the rest of the assignments alright? Yeah rite. lol.

Tata..

No comments: